school hall II
Canberra Medallion – 2012
Romaldo Giurgola Award for Public Architecture – 2012
St Gregory’s Hall is sited directly adjacent to a heritage church building dating from the 1850’s. CCA’s approach was to reinforce the contribution that the church provides to the site and surrounds by allowing its key elements to spatially define the new building. The multi-purpose hall sites comfortable and confidently within the small grouping of the old church and the primary classrooms. Simplified into two main forms, the hall contains a large sports volume and a smaller non-sports space. The smaller solid stone clad volume works as an intermediate space between the heritage church and the sharp black aluminium cladding of the sports facilities.